Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Never stop networking

I have a confession to make. I sometimes dread the thought of going to a networking event to meet new people. (Probably because some networking events can be truly dreadful.) But the majority are worthwhile--and here's why:

-When I think about it, several of my current clients came to me via networking opportunities. I've also reached out to new aquaintances, or at the very least referred them.

-Networking forces you to stay on your toes. That elevator speech can get kind of rusty when it's never brought out and dusted off.

-Chances are, you'll learn something new. I met someone who specialized in catching cyber criminals once. Fascinating stuff.

-There's kind of an unspoken understanding, especially at after-hour events, that you're not the only one who wanted to go home and kick off your shoes after a long day. But hey, isn't it nice to know you're not alone?

-Someone put a lot of time and effort into coordinating the event. It's nice to show your support by simply showing up.

-Finally, you should never miss a chance to get your name out there. You never know when you'll get a call or email that starts with, "Remember me? I met you last week at that networking event!"

No comments:

Post a Comment