Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The whole package

Without question, direct mail can be an effective tool to generate leads, recognition and sales for all types of businesses. If you hit the right target with the right message at the right time--well, it's a beautiful thing.

However, the effectiveness of a direct mail piece depends entirely upon whether it's read in the first place or quickly labeled junk mail by the recipient (who, incidentally, just used it to make a 3-point shot into the trash can).

Here's a perfect example. Yesterday, an 8 1/2 x 11" yellow envelope appeared in my mailbox with the words EXPEDITED MAIL LETTER, RUSH TO ADDRESSEE, EXTREMELY IMPORTANT printed in bold letters across the front. It immediately got my attention, though I didn't recognize the return address and quickly spotted a bar code indicating this was a mass mailing of some sort.

Still, I wondered, what extremely important message was inside the envelope? I toyed with the idea of tossing it aside before my curiosity got the better of me and I ripped it open, which, of course, is exactly what the sender intended.

Inside was an offer from a local car dealer. I could win a new vehicle if an enclosed key successfully unlocked a box in their showroom, and the number on the inside mailer then matched a special display board...

My curiosity was satisfied by this point and I stopped reading. However, I'm sure there are some people in the car dealership at this very moment trying to fit their keys into the mysterious box. The mailing was a success. The dealership that sent it realized if they didn't grab my attention in some way, I'd never actually see their offer.

With direct mail, consider the whole package--and make it irrestible.

No comments:

Post a Comment